Friday the 13th – Pneumonia Edition

Photo by Pixabay on

After another night of not being able to breathe too well, I went to my fourth doctor’s visit of the week. I am beyond frustrated with my local healthcare system because this issue could have been found and solved on visit one and I could have easily avoided the emergency room, but nooooo!

I was in and out of sleep from 3 am til about noon because I would wake myself up from not breathing, but the pain in my lungs exhausted me too much to get up early and go to the doctor. Diego woke me up about 12:30 p.m. to go to the doctor. He had the day off today and he said if my steroid didn’t clear up my lungs, it could be something more serious.

I tested negative for COVID-19 and strep A. But after waiting two hours, I finally was seen and the RN asked why I didn’t tell the front desk I was having a hard time breathing and I stated I did and nobody believed me because I’m young and presumably healthy. The doctor did another covid and strep test, something that had been done before at the other doctor’s offices, but this time, she had the techs do a chest x-ray. After a grand total of three hours of waiting, she put me on an antibiotic and gave me another asthma inhaler to open up my airways. About ten minutes later, I got a call saying I have pneumonia in the bottom and mid part of my left lung, which I don’t know about you, but that sounds pretty serious.

She sent me on my way with two antibiotics and an inhaler, plus I am still in the process of finishing up my steroid and have some cough suppressants leftover. I asked her what the recovery time looked like and she told me that it could be 4-6 weeks, but I should start to feel better within a week of taking my antibiotics. I need to go back to my primary care within a week and get more chest x-rays done so they can see the growth or the reduction of pneumonia in my lungs.

The only good thing that really happened this week was that I got invited to join a pre hire event to become a registered behavior technician (RBT) and as long as I do my class within 30 days, take CPR, do a TB test, pass a background check, and submit my social security card and driver’s license, I’m good as gold. That sounds like a lot to do, but the training class is only 40 hours so I can make this process as long or as short as I would like it to be.

I’m also waiting to hear back from the University of Washington Tacoma. Well, I heard back today and they are waiting on my transcripts from high school and community college to make a determination. They said it could take up to two weeks to receive and process, but as of right now, I don’t have to do anything to further the process.

I suppose I am thankful for the fact that I was finally diagnosed correctly and given antibiotics which, God willing, they actually work to clear up my symptoms. I am thankful for the medication I am on and being able to go to the doctor. Also, my queen sized comforter and microfiber sheet set came from Amazon today and although it’s not on my bed, I am happy that I have it since it was a steal. Not to mention, Diego is cleaning the house as we speak, even though it was my turn to do the dishes, so I am also thankful for that.

Til next time,


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s